Falls from portable ladders are a leading cause of work related injuries and fatalities. Here are some quick tips that can help avoid accidents and save lives:
- Read and follow all labels and markings on the ladder.
- Always inspect the ladder before use. If the ladder is damaged, it must be removed from service until repaired or discarded.
- Only use a ladder on a stable and level surface, unless it has been secured to prevent displacement.
- Do not place a ladder on boxes, barrels or other unstable bases to obtain additional height.
- Be sure that all locks on an extension ladder are properly engaged.
- Do not exceed the maximum load rating of a ladder. Be aware of the ladder's load rating and of the weight it is supporting, including the weight of any tools or equipment.
For more information on using portable ladders safely, check out OSHS Portable Ladder Safety